Voting Begins | Election Lawsuits
Segment 1, beginning at 1:14: Reporters describe what they're seeing at polling locations in Kansas and Missouri.
Across polling locations in Kansas City and the bi-state area, there were significant lines to start out the day with a "steady trickle of people" in the following hours, said Laura Ziegler, a reporter for KCUR. Locations such as the Fairgrounds in east Lawrence saw record numbers of advanced ballots.
- Laura Ziegler, community engagement reporter, KCUR
- Jodi Fortino, news intern at KCUR
- Celia Llopis-Jepsen, reporter, Kansas News Service
Segment 2, beginning at 33:39: Election lawsuits in Kansas and Missouri are ongoing and will continue after Election Day.
A number of cases have gone to the Missouri Supreme Court already, most tied to absentee ballots and mail-in ballots. The states will likely see additional cases in the days ahead. Lauren Bonds with the ACLU of Kansas said the Republican Party is intervening more in voting rights lawsuits and challenging expansions to the right to vote.
- Lauren Bonds, legal director at ACLU of Kansas
- Beth Vonnahme, associate dean at UMKC, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and associate professor of political science
If you experienced difficulties in casting your vote you can contact the Election Protection Hotline at (866) 687-8683.
Copyright 2021 KCUR 89.3. To see more, visit KCUR 89.3.